Tuesday 29 May 2012

Nick Carraway in Society

When I think of Nick Carraway and how he relates to people in American society I can only imagine that American society varies so drastically from one place to another; being a resident of the very diverse city of Toronto and having traveled to many places around the world, I understand that social and cultural "norms" vary greatly from place to place, more so across such a vast nation. Nick sets out with ambitious goals and his eyes set on his American dream or "green light", and by the end of his quest he sees his dream and his society as something different than what he had envisioned. I believe that Nick Carraway represents the everyman of society, the typical Joe. He seems to me to be a middle class figure with a well rounded education and personality, with whom I can relate to quite well.

2 comments:

  1. Nick Carraway does not come from a middle-class family. He comes from a wealthy family. After all, he is Daisy's cousin, he went to school with Tom Buchanan and the latter is certainly not bothered by associating with him.

    Nick simply does not have the same amount of money as Gatsby or Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pretty substantial flaw in my highschool analysis I suppose haha. I maintain the fact that Nick can be related to the average well rounded ethical American in any case, whether from an upper middle class or extremely wealthy family.

      Delete